Like и As
Like означает "наподобие, как".
- Вы не можете использовать as в этом смысле. Например:
- What a beautiful house! It's like a palace.
- "What does Sandra do?" "She's a teacher, like me."
- Be careful! The floor has been polished. It's like walking on ice.
- It's raining again. I hate weather like this.
- В этих предложениях, like - предлог. За ним может следовать существительное, местоимение, герундий или фраза с герундием:
- What's that noise? It sounds like a baby crying.
- Иногда like имеет значение "например":
- Some sports, like motor-racing, can be dangerous.
- В том же смысле вы можете использовать such as:
- Some sports, such as motor-racing, can be dangerous.
Мы используем as в значении "таким же образом", "в тех же самых условиях".
- Мы употребляем as перед подлежащим с глаголом:
- I didn't move anything. I left everything as it was.
- You should do it exactly as I showed you.
- В разговорном английском можно еще употребить like:
- I left everything like it was.
- Иногда as имеет другой смысл. Например, после do:
- You can do as you like.
- They did as they promised.
- Мы также говорим as you know / as I said / as she expected / as I thought и т.д. :
- As you know, it's Emma's birthday next week.
- Andy failed his driving test, as he expected.
- Like звучит странно в этих выражениях, если только мы не употребляем "say":
- Like I said yesterday, I'm sure we can solve the problem.
- As может быть и предлогом, но со значением в качестве, на позиции и т.д.:
- A few years ago I worked as a taxi driver.
- We haven't got a car so we use the garage as a workshop.
- Many words can be used as a verb or as a noun. For example: work, rain.
- London is fine as a place to visit, but I wouldn't like to live there.
- The news of the tragedy came as a great shock.
- Вы можете сказать as if или as though чтобы выразить, как кто-то или что-то выглядит, звучит, ощущается:
- The roof on that house looks as if it's going to fly.
- Helen sounded as if she had a cold, didn't she?
- I've just come back from holiday, but I feel very tired. I feel as if I've just had a hard work.
- You can stay here as long as you keep quiet.
- Во всех этих примерах можно использовать as though с тем же успехом. Еще пример:
- I feel as though I've just had a hard work.
- В разгоаворном английском вы можете употребить like:
- That house looks like it's going to fall down.
look + прилагательное
You look tired.
look as if + подлежащее + глагол
You look as if you haven't slept.
- Вы можете сказать: It looks as if ... or It sounds as if ... :
- Sandra is very late, isn't she? It looks as if she isn't coming.
- We decided to go by car because it looked as if it was going to rain.
- Do you hear that music next door? It sounds as if they are celebrating a birthday.
- Вы можете также употребить as though или like:
- It looks as though she isn't coming. или It looks like she isn't coming.
- Можно использовать as if или as though с другими глаголами чтобы сказать, как кто-то что-то делает:
- He ran as if he was running for his life.
- When the silence came, the speaker went on talking as if nothing had happened.
- When I told them my plan, they looked at me as though I was mad.
- В разговорном английском, можно употреблять like:
- When I told them my plan, they looked at me like I was mad.
- После as if или as though, мы используем прошедшее время когда говорим о настоящем. Например:
- I don't like Tim. He talks as if he knew everything.
- В этом предложении подразумевается настоящее время. Однако, мы используем Past Simple из-за нереалистичности фразы: Аналогично, мы используем прошедшее время в условных предложениях и после wish:
- She's asking me to do things for her with the ambition, as if I didn't do enough for her.
- Gary's only 40. Why do you talk about him as if he was an old man?
- В этом случае, когда вы используете прошедшее время, можно употребить were вместо was:
- Why do you talk about him as if he were an old man?
- They treat me as if I were their own son.