Although и Despite
Although, though, even though, in spite of и despite - все имеют одно и то же значение.
Мы используем все эти слова чтобы сказать, что какая-то вещь удивительна, необычна или неожидаема в данной ситуации.
- После although мы употребляем подлежащее с глаголом:
- Although she was shocked hearing the news, she continued laughing.
- I didn't pass the interview although I had the necessary skills.
- После in spite of или despite, мы употребляем существительное, местоимение или герундий:
- In spite of the rain, we enjoyed our holiday.
- I didn't pass the interview in spite of having the necessary skills.
- Olga wasn't well, but in spite of this she went to meet me.
- In spite of what I said yesterday, I still love you.
- Despite - это то же, что и in spite of. Мы употребляем despite без of:
- She wasn't well, but despite this she went to work.
- Можно сказать in spite of the fact (that ) ... или despite the fact (that) ...:
I didn't pass the interview in spite of the fact I had the necessary skills.или
I didn't pass the interview despite the fact that I had the necessary skills.
- Сравните although и despite:
I couldn't sleep although I was very tired.и
I couldn't sleep despite being very tired.
Although the traffic was bad, we arrived on time.и
In spite of the traffic, we arrived on time.
- Иногда мы используем though вместо although:
- I didn't pass the interview though I had the necessary skills.
- В разговорном английском мы часто употребляем though в конце предложения:
- The house isn't very nice. I like the garden though.
- I see them every day. I've never spoken to them though.
- Можно сказать even though. Это будет сильнее, чем although:
- Even though I was completely exhausted, I couldn't sleep.