Мы употребляем even чтобы сказать, что какое-то событие необычно или удивительно.
- He always wears a coat - even in hot weather.
- These photographs are really awful. Even I take better photographs than these.
- Nobody would help her - not even her best friend.
- Мы часто ставим even вместе с глаголом в середине предложения:
- Sue has travelled all over the world. She has even been to the Antarctic.
- They are very rich. They even have their own private jet.
- Посмотрите на эти примеры с not even:
- I can't cook. I can't even boil an egg.
- They weren't very friendly to us. They didn't even say hello.
- Jenny is very fit. She's just run five miles and she's not even out of breath.
- Вы можете употребить even со сравнительной степенью:
- I got up early, but Mary got up even earlier and has make breakfast.
- I knew I didn't have much money, but I've got even less than I thought.
- We were surprised to get a letter from her. We were even more surprised when she came to see us a few days later.
- Мы можем использовать even though, even when, even if. Но мы не можем использовать голый even перед подлежащим:
- Even though she can't drive, she has bought a car.
- He never shouts, even when he's angry.
- I'll probably see you tomorrow. But even if I don't see you tomorrow, we're sure to see each other before the weekend.
- I can't reach the shelf even if I stand on a chair.
- Сравните even if и if:
We're going to the beach tomorrow. It doesn't matter what the weather is like. We're going even if it's raining.и
We want to go to the beach tomorrow, but we won't go if it's raining.